Total Pageviews

Saturday, November 15, 2014

A Watercolor Self-Portrait

You know, I've put several self-portraits on this blog already.  None of them really look like me.  So far, this is the closest I've come; it's from a picture from 3 years ago (my Sophomore year of college) and so, in reality, it really doesn't look like me now.  I did have a really fun time painting this though, especially with all the shading.  If you haven't guessed already, yes, this is another watercolor piece.  I tend to go through phases of art, where I focus more specifically on one thing for a period of time.  At the beginning of my art "career" it was sketching and drawing.  Then it was acrylic paints.  Next it was Sharpies, then a little bit of oils, and now watercolor (with the occasional other medium thrown in).  There's something so beautiful to me about watercolors.  Maybe it's the subtlety, or the transparency, or the way it just seems to flow.  I'm not entirely sure.  What I am sure of though, is that watercolors (I use watercolors from little tubes) are incredibly fun, and I encourage you to go and try them out.  You might just be surprised.  

Watercolor with a black gouache border. 


No comments:

Post a Comment